All I've added as of right now were two long strips of very simple ribbing. I scrapped the arrow cable stitch idea. It just didn't look right. The first strip mostly went to forming part of the back as well as the right shoulder. It stops at the top of the right shoulder and forms a seam there with the second strip. I used the same super bulky yarn and size 11 needles then stitched the pieces on with a tapestry needle and worsted weight yarn.
When I said simple, I meant it.
p1, k2, p1, k2, p1, k2, p1, k2
p2, k1, p2, k1, p2, k1, p2, k1repeat until about 16”
I stitched this piece right alongside the previous strip with the cabling.
CO 11 (ribbing)
k2, p1, k2, p1, k2, p1, k2
p2, k1, p2, k1, p2, k2, p2repeat until about 38”
This is basically the same as the first strip, only a tad bit different. Attach one of the short sides of this strip to the short side of the previous strip at the shoulder then stitch to the neck part. Carry on all the way around then down the back and attach it to the middle part. Voila!