FREE KNITTING PATTERN: Jerry Horne's Mother's Hat from Twin Peaks the Return

UPDATE 2/12/23: This post fell victim to strange formatting when I did my blog theme change and I have now fixed it. I also failed to link my own Etsy.
 
UPDATE: I ordered some fab custom yarn from Lady Purl and I knit the hat white carrying white yarn throughout. I got pretty darn close. Probably a third shot at it and I could get it perfect. I should have used a finer weight for the white yarn, I think. See the updated images at the bottom.

~~~

Making this hat is easy, finding the right yarn is hard. I cannot find hideous variegated yarns that are correct for my life. The color sequence of the five purl sections from bottom up is: green, brown, red, blue, purple from what I can tell, followed by a knit crown repeating the colors, but the catch is that they're all variegated with white and some other mess, which is proving difficult to recreate with accuracy.

Pictures of the hat I made are included after the pattern. I even tried some ombre yarn for shits and giggles/out of dismay. I've also noted the yarns I used as well as possible suggestions.

CALLING ALL TWIN PEAKS KNITTERS
(or just knitters...)

If you have color suggestions for this hat, please feel free to leave them in the comments and I'll add them to the list.

Now let's get to this easy pattern!


What You Need
  • variegated yarn, worsted weight
  • US size 6 or 7 circulars of preferred length for making hats
  • set of 4 corresponding DPNs
Gauge: 4 sts/inch, 5 rows/inch = 10" wide hat (the hat is super stretchy, especially lengthwise and laying flat mine is about 10")

It's really easy to resize this hat by decreasing your CO or doing fewer rows in each section. I did a CO of 90 sts, which is pretty average.

What You Do

CO your desired number of stitches with variegated green yarn;
Rnds 1-7: k around;
Rnds 8-14: p around;
Rnd 15: k around, switch to variegated brown at end of rnd;
Rnds 16-18: k;
Rnds 19-25: p;
Rnd 26: k around, switch variegated red at the end;
Rnds 27-29: k;
Rnds 30-36: p;
Rnd 37: k, switch to variegated blue at end;
Rnds 38-40: k;
Rnds 41-47: p;
Rnd 48: k, switch to variegated purple at end;
Rnds 49-51: k;
Rnds 52-58: p;
Rnd 59: k, switch back to variegated green at end;
Rnds 60-62: k;
Rnd 63: begin the crown of the hat (your decrease intervals will be based on your initial CO), *k8, dec, repeat from * around;
- change your colors every 4 rnds in the same sequence as above; switch to your DPNs when comfortable;
Rnd 62: k around;
Rnd 63: *k7, dec, repeat from * around;
Rnd 64: k around;
Rnd 65: *k6, dec, repeat from * around;
Rnd 66: k around;
Rnd 67: *k5, dec, repeat from * around;
Rnd 68: k around:
Continue this alternating pattern until hat is finished, close, weave in ends.


I clearly failed miserably at the color selection. I used Red Heart because they have some fabulous (ugly) variegated yarns, unfortunately, I chose poorly. Colors with strike through are the ones I used that didn't satisfy me, and I also included some notes/thoughts. The other options are still on the table until I get a chance to see how they look knitted.

Green: Red Heart Woodsy (too much brown, see below), Red Heart Desert Camo
Brown: Red Heart Latte Stripe, Red Heart Woodsy (but you'd have to be strategic to dodge the green sections)
Red: Red Heart Fall (too much green, no white/lighter parts); 
Blue: Red Heart Reef (too much brown), Red Heart Macaw
Purple: Red Heart Macaw (I don't know why I used this for this section, I think I was drunk)

There's always hand-spun and dyed yarn to make this work!


Jerry's Mother's Hat v2.0


Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FREE Crochet Pattern - The Fox Plush from The Little Prince

My Friend Wilby FREE Crochet Pattern from Starfield!

Schmanley Cup FREE Crochet Pattern To Make A Very Obvious Knock-Off Non-Functional Stanley Cup